Friday 19 April 2013

People are bored with Nollywood/Gollywood stories – Yvonne Okoro

Four years ago, exotic beauty Yvonne Chinyere Okoro was relatively unknown in the vibrant West African movie industry. In barely 36 months that she launched an active acting career Yvonne shot ahead like a meteor; undeniably aided by talent and onscreen magnetism. Speaking with ADENRELE NIYI in this interview, she shares her excitement about her second African Academy Movie Awards, AMAA, nomination for Best Actress; the success of her first production, Contract, pains of her dual nationality and the thrills of kissing South Africa’s leading man, Hlomla Dandala. EXCERPTS:
Were you expecting the AMAA nomination for Best Actress in a Leading Role?
No I wasn’t because I criticise myself; I always have a problem with what I do. I watch my works and say things like ‘I could have done this place better’. Then, I would start imagining me doing it all over again. That were times after filming Contract I called Shirley (Frimpong-Manso, the filmdirector) up to say ‘let’s re-do this scene, I think I could do it better’. Shirley just waves it saying ‘Yvonne it is fine’! So, I never expect it when I’m nominated, never.
I heard The Contract, for which you got the nomination, broke box office records in Ghana when it premiered.
It did, it was amazing. Nowadays, premieres have lost value because there are a lot of bad movies being premiered in Ghana. People dress up to go for a premiere only to discover that the movie is total nonsense.
We decided to hold our premiere at the National Theatre in Ghana with capacity for about 1500. But then, because of this trend of people staying away from premieres, I began to panic, thinking maybe a much smaller space would have been smarter. On premeire day, it shocked me that the whole seats were sold out; people were buying tickets which cost like N5000 for N10,000 at the gate! It was a huge crown. Sincerely, this being my first production and to have had this outcome, I didn’t expect it.
And the reception in Lagos?
The reception too has been great. When I did the press briefing in Lagos, I invited Emem Isong, Lilian Amah and others; everyone was just going on about how great the movie is. At a point, I had to ask my publicist ‘are you sure they’re not just been nice by telling me it’s a great movie?’ When somebody doesn’t know what to say, they try to be polite. And he said, ‘no, really people liked it’.
Let’s go back to 2012 when you were nominated in the same category for the film Single Six. Did it challenge you as an actress?
I’ve learnt from every single film I’ve been in. But the reason I did my own production was because I got tired of the movies I usually do. Some movies were very good but I realised that others would stereotype you to a particular role. For example, if they know you are good at crying or scandalous, this is the role you’ll get forever.
I wanted to do something comical, funny but serious at the same time and I knew the only way is to go my own way; at the end of the day, the money comes into your pocket. Of course, the script and the director you work with must be good. I’m glad that the directors I’ve worked with also commended me on this project.
L-R: Yvonne, her dad, mum and sister, Elizabeth at the premiere of The Contract in Ghana
L-R: Yvonne, her dad, mum and sister, Elizabeth at the premiere of The Contract in Ghana
I remember when I went for AMAA last year, I told them: ‘This is my second time, if I don’t win the third time I’m not coming here again’! (laughs). Seriously though, I think it is huge to be nominated. AMAA is respected and for you to be the only actor and feature film from Ghana to be nominated is big. The other movie from Ghana is a short film.
Contract has six AMAA nominations including yours; what is so compelling about the movie from the producer’s point of view?
When Shirley and I read the script for Contract, we felt the story would garner plenty of attention. A lot of people in Africa are using surrogates but nobody is talking about; it is done underground. I thought this would be a good time for us to talk about surrogacy in a comical way. We didn’t want the usual girl/boy story; it is a simple story full of laughs and twists.
Why did you decide to work with Hlomla Dandala and Joseph Benjamin; is that the first time you would work with them?
Yes, that’s the first time. With Joseph, we found out that he was the newest sensation here in Nigeria (according to a lot of people); we said that would be good for marketing. Before that time, I didn’t even know who he was. So, I went to research him and I saw some of the works he’s done; I found out that he is actually good. And Hlomla I’d already seen on Jacob’s Cross.
We didn’t want the usual Nollywood/Gollywood story people are bored with it; plus the fact that it doesn’t always have to be about Ghana or Nigeria. I felt it was about time we stopped Ghana-Nigeria and actually do the whole of Africa. Hollywood is the whole of America and you could probably include Europe and everybody else in it because that’s where every actor strives to go. So, why don’t we do an industry where everybody would strive to go in Africa whether you call ‘Afriwood’, or whatever name.
I wanted us to bring in somebody different, somebody who is not the usual to allow the industry open up wider and we decided Hlomla would do the role.
Since it was a cross border merger from three major film making areas in Africa, what kind of interaction did you have on set?
Hlomla is so funny; he is like a man diva. I love him because he gets up in the morning, reads his script and is taking notes as he reads; he was so involved it was amazing. He was even more involved than I was. Everybody was very much into the whole thing.
And Joseph?
Joseph was like a crack head, always laughing and I love the way he wasn’t fussy. He was always ready to learn. He brought a different twist to the whole thing. I learnt a lot from both of them.
Professionally and socially?
Socially, they are insane! I don’t think I want to pick anything from them. Joseph doesn’t like to go out too much, but Hlomla… he likes to party and have fun when he’s done working.
So, you learned from one another but you didn’t want to hang out with them?
No, I’m such a boring person you wouldn’t believe it. I never go anywhere, I’m always indoors. I guess I learnt to be in indoors to stay out of trouble. I’m more or less an introvert but people think I’m an extrovert.
Let’s put you on the spot for the steamy love scene you had with Hlomla’s character in the movie. In some quarters, which is the majority, you both are considered sex symbols. What was the experience kissing one of Africa’s hottest male actors?
(Laughs) I remember that scene was the most awkward scene ever; I don’t even know how it came out that good. I remember when we were supposed to shot the scene, Hlomla would be doing press ups saying ‘Shirley I’m ready for this’. Meanwhile, I said to Shirley ‘I’m so shy, everyone is looking at me what do I do?’.
At the point when you are kissing and the director says cut, there is that awkwardness; you don’t want to look at each other. You’re thinking ‘did he like the kiss or not’ and of course other people are looking. I go quiet and turn around and Hlomla goes, ‘why did you turn around, was my kiss that bad’? He actually made jokes out of it and we started to feel more comfortable because it is never easy.
I remember in one of the scenes he was behind me and we were supposed to be ‘doing the thing’ (making love) and I was stiff. Shirley was like ‘Yvonne, we can see that you are stiff there; we know you are not doing anything’. I told her, ‘Shirley, do your magic; go and take it from another angle. I can’t be moaning, my father will watch’! She told me ‘you should have known that before you decided to do this movie’. I’m never comfortable doing love scenes because my dad would watch and he doesn’t like seeing me in scenes like that.
He was watching at the Lagos premiere and he kept hissing at those scenes. My father is a traditional Nigerian man and he says ‘if you do this and your husband sees it, how would he feel? My father loves the film but every time I’m doing a sex scene he doesn’t want to watch.
As for Hlomla, he is a great kisser but when you have so many people around you don’t even think about how well a person is kissing or enjoying it because everybody is looking at you. What was the budget for the movie? It was huge, imagine bringing someone like Hlomla; but I can’t disclose a figure. On what you said earlier about being an introvert.
Isn’t that contradictory to what you do; how did you find this passion for the screen? It was my mom who told me to go into acting. About seven years ago or so, I had just finished my Senior Secondary School Exams, SSCE; we were sitting in the living room and I was bored, so I decided to play a trick on all of them.
I pretended as if the President of Ghana was calling to congratulate me on my SSCE results. I was saying ‘yes sir, thank you sir’. Then, I’ll pause as if the man was saying something and carried on like that. They were excited. When I finished the call, my mother was dancing that the president had invited me and few people who did well in the exams to his house for dinner.
She started looking for what to wear. I was looking at them and thinking should I say something before they have a heart attack. I told them I was only pretending but they thought I was lying because I didn’t want them to go with me. So, I showed them the phone record and my mother said ‘you know you should go into acting, you are so good’. That’s how I started. I met a certain lady who introduced me to a producer and we took off from there.
How long have you been active in the industry?
I began active acting two or three years ago. Before that I was in school; I had to prioritise, I couldn’t mix the two. My father wanted me to finish schooling then do others things. Now, I am totally immersed in it.
Tell us about your family background?
My dad is married to two wives, we are 10 children. My mum is the second wife and I’m the first on my mum side and the fifth all together. My dad is Nigerian and my mum is Ghanian, although my mother never lived in Nigeria. My dad more or less lives in Ghana, he refuses to admit he lives in Ghana; he is this patriotic Nigerian because he plans to move back to Nigeria eventually. We all live in Ghana but he has business here in Nigeria. When we were younger during Christmas and festivals we visited my hometown in Abia State. It was the first time I ate roasted yam and palm-nut. I think my best childhood days were when I used to come to Nigeria; we always had fun.
We are a close-knit family and support one another. There are times we have issues but it is never serious because we tend to trash it out. I love the way my dad raised us, he keeps us grounded and sometimes I can’t even do all these diva things at home. When my mum sends me on an errand, I say to her ‘do you know who I am’? And she is like ‘who do you think you are? Come on go and do so-so and so instantly!’.
It keeps you grounded because you can’t misbehave. They support me 100 percent but to them, education is the best. You can do your talent or hobby but never forget to go to school; that’s what they care about. I’ve been blessed with a great family.
A lot of people are wondering what nationality you claim; are you Ghanaian?
I have had a lot of issues with that. It is difficult not knowing where to claim or should I say the identity. The truth is I claim both; I refuse to say Ghanaian and Nigerian. I remember my sister took part in Miss Ghana Pageant and they kept asking her what she was and she said Ghanaian and people replied ‘how can you be Ghanaian when your dad is a Nigerian’.
What’s the point behind all these? It’s very difficult sometimes to have that kind of identity; so for me, I just say I’m African.
You’re young in the industry and already a producer, what’s your vision 10 years from now?
I intend to be extra happy, have some kids, get married and be successful. I never want to say what I want to do; I’ll try and live each day as it comes. I just hope that the Lord blesses me with extra years, hard work and healthy life so that I can continue to be whatever I want.
Speaking of marriage, are you dating?
I’m not at all, it is surprising but that’s the truth. I think people in the entertainment industry are the loneliest, but people don’t know that.
Is it by choice or you haven’t been convinced by offers you’ve been getting?
I don’t think it is by choice because nobody wants to be lonely. I think it is just the fact that you’re extra careful who you associate yourself with; when you are in the public eye somebody who comes to you may be obsessed with a character you played and not you in person. Most people don’t care about the real person; you are like a trophy. For me, I need to be sure who I end up with or who I go out with so that in the end, I don’t become ‘one of his girls’.
Finally, what do you do for leisure?
I like to cook; my mother has this cook book I practice with. I’m a great cook when I’m cooking Ghanaian food but horrible when I’m making Nigerian food. My dad cooks every weekend as a tradition, he wants us to learn and get associated with our culture. He makes eba, ogbono and different kinds of soup. I also like to read and write poems.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...