Tuesday 30 April 2013

NBA player Jason Collins comes out as a Gay Man


Jason Collins, a 12-year NBA veteran, is the first active male athlete in a major American team sport to come out as gay.
Collins made the announcement in a first-person essay for Sports Illustrated that appeared online Monday.
"I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay," Collins wrote in the first paragraph of the story that will run in the May 6 issue. It is co-written with Franz Lidz.
"I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, 'I'm different,' " Collins wrote. "If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand."
WHO IS COLLINS? A look at his career, life
Collins is a free agent who finished this past season with the Washington Wizards. He wants to continue his career.
"When I was younger I dated women," Collins wrote. "I even got engaged. I thought I had to live a certain way. I thought I needed to marry a woman and raise kids with her. I kept telling myself the sky was red, but I always knew it was blue."
Jarron Collins, Jason's twin, also wrote a first-person piece for SI in which he said his brother told him last summer: "I won't lie. I had no idea. We talked, he answered my questions, I hugged him and I digested what he had told me. At the end of the day, this is what matters: He's my brother, he's a great guy, and I want him to be happy. I'll love him and I'll support him and, if necessary, I'll protect him."
Former President Bill Clinton, whose daughter Chelsea was a classmate of Collins at Stanford, issued a statement of support saying: "Jason's announcement today is an important moment for professional sports and in the history of the LGBT community. ... I hope that everyone, particularly Jason's colleagues in the NBA, the media and his many fans extend to him their support and the respect he has earned."
NBA Commissioner David Stern said in a statement: "Jason has been a widely respected player and teammate throughout his career and we are proud he has assumed the leadership mantle on this very important issue."
GLAAD, a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) media advocacy organization, issued a statement of support.
"'Courage' and 'inspiration' are words that get thrown around a lot in sports, but Jason Collins has given both ideas a brand new context," said Aaron McQuade, head of GLAAD's sports program. "We hope that his future team will welcome him, and that fans of the NBA and sports in general will applaud him."
Collins wrote in his SI piece that he was jealous of Joe Kennedy, Collins' roommate at Stanford and a Democratic congressman, marching in a gay pride parade in Boston when he was running for office.
"For as long as I've known Jason Collins, he has been defined by three things: His passion for the sport he loves, his unwavering integrity, and the biggest heart you will ever find," Kennedy said in a statement. "Without question or hesitation, he gives everything he's got to those of us lucky enough to be in his life. I'm proud to stand with him today and proud to call him a friend."
Collins has started 476 games, including nine this year, over 12 NBA seasons. He's averaged 3.6 points and 3.8 rebounds per game.
He played 6½ seasons for the then-New Jersey Nets, who drafted him 18th overall in 2001. His best season was 2004-05, when he posted 6.4 points, 6.1 rebounds and 0.9 blocks a game and led the NBA in personal fouls.
Collins was traded in 2008 to the Memphis Grizzlies. He finished that season with them before a one-season stint with the Minnesota Timberwolves. He helped the Atlanta Hawks to playoff berths from 2010-12, then this season joined the Boston Celtics. He was dealt to the Wizards midseason.
professional athlete. His team, the Washington Wizards, made a statement supporting Collins.
"If you have learned anything from Jackie Robinson, it is that teammates are always the first to accept," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said in a statement. "It will be society who has to learn tolerance."
Collins received support from fellow players as well.
Kobe Bryant tweeted: "Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU"
Bryant's Laker teammate Steve Nash also offered his support tweeting: "The time has come. Maximum respect."
But not everyone has been supportive. Miami Dolphins receiver Mike Wallace posted and later removed the following tweet:
"All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH..."
Contributing: Catalina Camia
PHOTOS: Jason Collins through the years

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...