Sunday 26 January 2014

I’m A Reformed Tomboy – Pryse

Princess Esindu aka Pryse is a fast-rising rap artiste. The graduate of media and communication in this interview tells why music appeals to her
How did your childhood affect your love for music?
Growing up, I was a tomboy and this was borne out of the fact that I have three older brothers who were also into rap music. They discovered I had a thing for rap music and I featured in their recordings.
Did you have a privileged upbringing?
I was born in Port Harcourt to Mike and Dolly Esindu, as Princess Esindu. I am from Enugu State and I attended Aladumo Educational Centre, Bereton College, and then finished WAEC at the OMPADEC Science Centre. I got my bachelor’s degree at Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom.  As the only daughter, I was a bit of a tom-boy as a teenager. To be honest, I was more of a pampered child.
Where did you derive your stage name?
The name came about when I was 14.  I was in search of a stage name and settled for Pryse which was derived from my name, Princess. Initially I settled for Baby Pryse. When I got into the university, I took out ‘Baby’.

Who are your musical influences?
My musical influences cut across several genres. I listen to Jay-Z, Drake, Kendrick Lemar, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, John Legend, Frank Ocean, Ryan Leslie, Bob Marley and others.
How relevant is your degree in media and communication to your music career?
It has come in quite handy. For instance I know quite a few things about putting a good video together as regards camera angles and the likes. Also, it helps me keep myself in check as regards my fans’ perception of me.
Did you ever work with your degree before branching into music?
I never did. Before I graduated from the University of Nottingham Trent in the United Kingdom, I was already friends with M.I. It was a case of being eager to get out of school so I can pursue my dreams. While I was in school, I started recording and putting out my music online and got wonderful feedback which made me decide I could do this for real.
Do you miss not having a nine-to-five job?
I love being my  boss. Sometimes it’s harder work and more hours compared to a regular job. But like I said, it’s a blessing to do what one loves for a living.
Why did you decide to relocate to Nigeria?
I did not have the intention of staying back in the UK after graduation.  Besides, my music has always been aimed at Nigerians. With or without music, I would have returned home even if I did not have Chocolate City waiting for me.
What’s the greatest challenge being a female rap artiste?
Being a rapper in this industry is tough.  The biggest challenge I would say is finding the right blend in your music because most Nigerians just want to dance. So a rapper has to find a way to talk sense on a dance track or find some way to make her story relevant to the average Nigerian person. It’s twice as tough for female rappers; we have to work twice as hard.
Has competition been fair to you?
I don’t know about competition being fair. It depends on who you consider to be my competitor. I see the biggest acts in the country as my competitors regardless of their gender. If that’s the competition you’re referring to, then yes, it’s tough. Anything else is weak.
Do you think you have what it takes to be rated an A-list act?
Absolutely, I know I have what it takes to be up there among the galaxy of stars.  I’m trying to do something that has yet to be done by any female rapper since Sasha P. It may take serious efforts but the potential glory is massive. I really feel  as if I was born to do this.
Do a brief comparison of the music industry in UK and Nigeria
The music industries in both countries are similar in that they have major cities where you need to be to be successful. In the UK, a better structure exists as regards recording contracts and copyright laws.
Why is your album still in the cooler?
My debut album is titled The Enter-Pryse and it’s waiting to be served fresh this year.
What is the new flavour you are bringing on board?
What makes me different is that I can hold my own on any track with any rapper whether male or female. I do not expect a different set of standards for me because I’m female. I went on a track with M.I, Boogey, Iceprince , Jesse Jagz, etc. I’m confident of my skill.
What’s your relationship with other female artistes in the industry?
My relationship with most female artistes is from cordial to friendly. We all support each other where possible but you know how girls can be sometimes. My closest industry friend is Ruby Gyang. She’s an amazing singer and a great person.
If you were not doing music, what would you have been doing?
I would have been designing and producing TV programmes and instructional materials for my family business.
How do you deal with male attention?
It can be a bit of a challenge but if you respect yourself, you’ll get it back.
Are you willing to sacrifice marriage for your career?
I’m not consciously avoiding marriage. Obviously there are career goals I want to achieve before I even consider it but in the meantime I’m keeping my eye open for the man of my dreams.
What qualities do you want in Mr. Right?
I want a tall, funny and sharp man.  I don’t want a boy.  He should be someone who is sure of what he wants out of life and is not threatened by my ambitions.
What’s your definition of style and how do you like to dress?
My personal definition of style is whatever looks good. As a reformed tomboy I’m still discovering my inner fashionista but I generally lean towards sexy and classy.
When you are not making music, how do you relax?
I actually love to read books. I read fiction only though. Whenever I’m not making music, I’m staring at an e-book on my phone.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...